We are so excited, this year marks our twelfth annual Mt. Mansfield Backpack Adventure! This amazing trip is always a summer highlight. Campers will have tons of fun as we circumnavigate Mt. Mansfield, Vermont's highest peak, from our base camp at beautiful Underhill State Park.
This is a very challenging, but fun, and rewarding adventure. Our first day ascent is typically via the Hazelton Trail, we cross the summit ridge by the Nose, and descend to Underhill on Halfway House trail. The second day is a blast, we get to explore the back side of Mansfield, including all the best trails like Rock Garden and Wampahoofus. On the third day, we're homeward bound via Sunset Ridge and Long Trail North. The feeling of accomplishment is incredible at the end of the trip, when kids look back on all we did.
In the evenings, we will have time for games, cards, and s'mores by the campfire. We will be camping in lean-tos on this trip, no tents needed, but campers are required to provide some of their own camping gear (see list below). Campers need to have some previous long distance hiking experience.
In addition to the below, campers need a well fitting backpack, with a waist strap, large enough to carry all their personal gear.
All our overnight trips feature three action-packed days, plus two fun nights of camping in Vermont State Parks. These trips build confidence, instill lasting memories, and forge lifelong friendships. While they are all physically demanding, these trips are great first experiences away from home. For all overnight trips, campers must be at least 8 years old.
Back again for its tenth summer, the mountain bike trip is an amazingly fun time! We will embark on a three day, two night trip in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom, camping at the pristine Brighton State Park, and exploring the award-winning Kingdom Trails. The park has wooded campsites with sturdy lean-tos, and a large lake for swimming. Nearby, Kingdom Triails is one of Vermont's most popular mountain bike destinations for riders of all abilities. We will spend our days cruising the trails, from green circles to black diamonds, and enjoy our evenings with the comfort of a camp fire and a few s'mores.
Learning and practicing mountain biking skills will be a big part of this trip, but participants need some previous mountain biking experience.
In addition to the below, campers need to bring their own mountain bike and helmet. Please make sure your bike is in good working order so we don't miss any time on the trails!
Kingdom Trails Mountain Bike Trip: July 30 - Aug. 1, 2024
Logistics for All Overnights
- Campers must be at least 8 years old.
Maximum age for overnights is 13.
- Drop-off and pick-up at Mt. Mansfield
Academy, Academic Campus (65 Academy
- Drop-off at 9 AM on Tuesday morning
- Pick-up at 4 PM on Thursday afternoon
- All food is included, but campers may bring
their own snacks if they are so inclined.
- Trip participants may add day camp for
Monday and Friday for an additional $200.
Packing List for All Overnights
- Camelbak type day pack to carry water/snacks. Must fit comfortably and have room for food. Required for all trips, including backpack trip.
- Sleeping bag.
- Sleeping pad.
- Pillow. Optional. For backpacking trip, bring only lightweight inflatables. Standard pillows are fine for other trips.
- Shoes. Sneakers are generally ok. Waterproof boots are great for the backpack trip. Shoes must fit well and be well broken in.
- Day time clothes. T-shirt and shorts are usually fine.
- Warm clothes for nights. Long underwear and fleece. Nights can be very cold!
- Comfortable camp shoes for nights. Flip-flops, Crocs, or similar.
- Clean socks and underwear for each day.
- Bathing suit and towel (not needed for backpack).
- Small plastic plate or bowl and a sturdy fork.
- Flashlight or headlamp.
- Sunscreen and Bug Spray.
- Toiletries (travel-size).
- Rain gear.
- Hats (winter and summer). Again, nights are cold!
- Book/Journal. Optional.
- PLEASE NO ELECTRONICS, INCLUDING PHONES AND SMART WATCHES!
Waterbury Reservoir Adventure: August 13 - 15, 2024
This is a new iteration of the canoe trip we've run in the past, and we are so excited to test out this new version! We will spend three days paddling, exploring, and tubing at Waterbury Reservoir, camping at gorgeous Little River State Park, right in the heart of all the action.
The first and third days will consist of paddling our canoes around the reservoir, with stops at famous landmarks like Elephant Rock, and lots of time for swimming and fishing for interested campers.
The middle day will be action packed with everyone's favorite: tubing around the reservoir! It's going to be one for the ages.
Campers are required to provide some of their own camping gear (). We will be camping in lean-tos on this trip, campers may bring tents if they'd like, but tents are not required. Paddling experience is helpful, but not required.
OVERNIGHT SIGN UP
Mt. Mansfield Backpack Adventure: July 16 - 18, 2024